Monday, October 11, 2010

Jambalaya (Box mixes need not apply)



Though a guy playing the saxophone while I stir would be cool.




I can't wait to try this out. It smells so spicy & good. 
I chose a recipe that is mild on the "kick" factor. 




2 teaspoons olive oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 ounces medium Italian sausage (or kielbasa if you don't like a lot of spice)
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper. diced
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked white rice
4 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce




Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. 
Saute chicken and kielbasa until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. 
n with cayenne, onion popper. Cook 5 minutes, or until onion is tender and translucent



Add rice, then stir in chicken stock. 






Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. 
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.





Every jambalaya recipe I read was different. 
Please do not take my recipe as the all that jambalaya has to offer recipe. I fused together several recipes that I thought sounded delicious. I added & omitted ingredients that another jambalaya maker would probably consider blasphemy. 
So please, be creative, do what you think your family would love.




Traditionally you serve vegetable sticks with jambalaya. Carrot and celery sticks help with the heat.  I also served with salad and ranch dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment