Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake

I found this recipe after searching for something seasonal but not too "halloween-y". This is a great cake for partys and dinners.

I had a rose petel silcone baking pan. 
<can you call it a pan if its silicone?...dish... flex-baking container thingy.> Sigh. I dont know.

It is sturdy once you put the batter in it. Don't be afraid to buy one/use it. I really liked it. I put it on a baking sheet to keep it level.


  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder 

  • Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a separate bowl.  Add to the creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition. 

  • Fold in chocolate chips. Do not use a mixer.

  • Divide batter in half. When I divided the batter instead of 50/50 I did a more 30/70. 30% chocolate & 70% pumpkin. I wanted a definitely more pumpkin taste over all. Feel free to change the proportions to the flavor you want to dominate. I scooped the chocolate half of the batter right into the bowl I had the flour, baking powder & baking soda in. Stir chocolate into one portion. In a well-greased 10-in. bunt pan. Spoon chocolate batter first and top with pumpkin batter. 

  • Bake at 325° for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Letting it set for 15 minutes is an important step, please don't skip it. I would hate for all your hard work to fall flat or break apart.
You can see from my photo here that the tips of the rose petals got a little dark. Not to worry! Just add a little glaze icing & PA-POW.  No one will ever know. Even the most experienced bakers and cooks make mistakes. It's confidence that no one will ever find out where they are that keeps us going.












Icing:

1/2 powdered sugar
2-3 TBS milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Stir with a fork rapidly for 2 minutes. Drizzle over cooled cake.

Here you can really see the chocolate on top & the pumpkin bottom.


Like my posts? Become a follower by clicking the link to the right! I'd love to hear your comments, suggestion or questions. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment